Migrating Server Workloads
The DynaCenter Console migrates servers in waves. Waves are organizational units that define logical collections of servers. For example, a wave might consist of one or more servers that run a particular application, or one or more servers that have a similar function such as database servers or web servers.
Important: If you need to remigrate a server workload, see Reschedule a Server Workload Migration.
- In the DynaCenter Console, click the Create Migration Wave button .
- In the Create Wave view, click the Add Server to Wave button .
- In the Add Servers to Wave view, select the servers you want to migrate as part of this wave.
Note: If you want to migrate servers immediately, the status of each server you select must be Ready. You can add servers with other statuses to migration waves that are scheduled for a later time; however, if the server is not Ready when the scheduled migration begins, the migration task will not complete successfully.
Tip: If you do not see the server that you want to migrate, try the following:
- Click the Refresh button to refresh the list of servers
- Type a search term that applies to the server
- Click the Show All button to list all servers that are available for migration
Note: The Show All view expands the server list to include source servers that have been previously successfully migrated and target servers that were created as part of a previous migration.
- Page through all available pages of servers
- Click Add Servers.
- In the Create Wave view, select a server or a group of servers and apply the appropriate template to the selected servers.
You must specify a migration template for each server in the wave before the wave migration can begin.
Tip: If you need to customize the template for a particular server in the wave, you can make template overrides in the Create Wave view.
- Type a Wave Name for this migration wave.
- If you want to schedule the wave migration, click the Schedule button to specify when this wave should be migrated.
Note: By default, the wave migration will begin immediately; schedule the migration if you need more control over when the migration operation begins.
- Click Migrate.
- Verify the information in the Create Wave summary view, and then do one of the following:
- Click Yes if the wave is configured correctly and you are ready to proceed
- Click No if the wave is not configured correctly and you need to change the wave configuration
After you accept the wave configuration, the newly configured wave appears in the Migrations view.